Feeling orange

Friday, June 01, 2007

Tivo Lives!

In my previous post about the broken Tivo, all rescue attempts had failed. So the next day I purchased Instant Cake, which comes as a bootable CD iso. All that had to be done was to create the CD, boot it and have it "bake" a new hard drive. The whole process took less than 10 minutes and I am happy to report that not only is Tivo fully functional again, it has also received a nice storage upgrade from 80GB to 200GB. Excellent and highly recommended!

Opening up a piece of home electronics reminded me of how much fun it is to "hack" things like that. With school being nearly over (one more week!), I am looking for a summer project, so I've ordered several books on the kind of things one can do with old game consoles. I do have an old Dreamcast, which has an avid hacker following. The controller port on my PlayStation 2 seems to be broken and could use my attention, but most of all the price for refurbished Xbox systems has dropped to $80 and having a hard drive in a game console opens many more possibilities. It will be a fun summer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home